Medical Tourism Destinations
Asian medical tourism is highly developed with Preferred Providers often offering all-inclusive package that are cost-effective and customer friendly. Most major hospitals in Asia catering to international patients can help you with transportation, accommodation arrangements, interpreters and even Visa and insurance.
- Thailand leads the Asian countries in the number of medical tourist arrivals every year – more than a million – coming from all over the world.
- India, with modern facilities being built and an abundance of highly trained medical personnel comes in a close second with half a million medical tourist arrivals every year.
- Singapore, although slightly more expensive than its neighboring countries, Singapore has one of the best health systems in the world and is a favorite destination among Asians and Australians.
- Malaysia offers excellent facilities and competitive prices and draws mostly medical travelers from neighboring countries such as Indonesia and Singapore.
- Philippines is an attractive choice for visitors, with many JCI and ISO accredited hospitals
- Other health tourism destinations in Asia include Vietnam, China and Bali.
Medical tourism in Europe has grown tremendously in the past decade, as Europeans from the richer countries such as United Kingdom, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Austria, Ireland and Netherlands seek affordable private healthcare in Central and Eastern Europe. Cheap flights, open borders and all-inclusive packages cause this market to grow every year.
- Poland’s private healthcare has excellent reputation, making it a favorite destination for people from UK and Ireland for procedures ranging from ENT procedures to complicated orthopedic surgery.
- Turkey which was mentioned earlier, is on the border of Europe and Asia, and is fast becoming a destination of choice for eye care, orthopedic surgery, cosmetic surgery and many other medical procedures.
- Germany has an excellent healthcare system, and is considered a top destination for patients from the Middle East, UK and the United States who looking for high quality medical care.
- Hungary is a preferred destination mainly for Dental tourism, cosmetic procedures, hair restoration etc.
- Other medical tourism destinations in Europe include Spain, Ukraine, Austria, Lithuania, Belarus and Albania
American healthcare patients who may find Latin America to be a practical solution for surgical procedures. Many countries are within close distance from the USA, they are filled by US-trained and Board certified doctors.
- Mexico has a wide variety of plastic surgery, dental procedures and bariatric treatments. Many of the hospitals in Mexico are managed by US-trained health professionals.
- Costa Rica is a popular destination that combines its tropical environment with internationally recognized expertise in the area of cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery and dental care. Many American medical tourists travel to Costa Rica because the competence of its healthcare professionals and the short flight times from the United States.
- Venezuela is also an ideal medical tourism destination for treatments such as plastic surgery and cancer therapy. American medical tourists can readily enter the country with a tourist visa.
- Argentina became highly attractive for medical tourism after its currency devalued against the USD.
- Colombia is another favorite destination for cosmetic surgery because of its well-trained staff, many of whom studied in UK or USA.
- Brazil is internationally renowned for high quality cosmetic surgery. However, US Citizens still require a Visa to visit Brazil for medical tourism purposes.
South Africa is the leading medical tourism destination in Africa, having the best healthcare system south of the Sahara. It attracts patients from other African countries such as Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana and Tanzania, as well as some America and European patients.
Dubai is the remains the leading medical tourism destination in Middle East. Israel is also very popular for advanced surgical procedures. Other countries making strides to becoming medical tourism destinations include: Jordon, Lebanon and Egypt.